Job offer: Programme Manager-CLAPafrica (apply by 30th October, 2019)
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is a joint organization of German universities for the promotion of international scientific cooperation and academic exchange. A worldwide network of 15 DAAD regional offices and 56 information centres support the work of the DAAD head office in Bonn.
Role Specification: Programme Manager CLAPafrica
The DAAD Information Centre in Ghana is looking for a dedicated and versatile staff for scholar counselling, administration and programme coordination in full time for the Climate Research Alumni and Postdocs in Africa (CLAPafrica) programme. CLAPafrica is a new funding programme to foster the creation of research networks for future leaders in climate research and protection.
CLAPafrica brings together high-potential African researchers in climate change research and protection and African alumni of German funding initiatives. It seeks to stimulate the development of a vibrant research network for regional solutions in climate research and enhance the relevance of research outputs for policy decisions.
The programme will fund research and networking projects through three tracks:
- research & networking projects for postdoctoral fellows
- networking activities for alumni in collaboration with postdoctoral research groups
- science policy advising and skills trainings
About this role
This is a pivotal role to facilitate the smooth implementation and running of the programme, ensuring the delivery of all of the programme ‘s objectives. The Programme Manager will be responsible for the following tasks, amongst others:
- Project management: coordination of regional network activities in close collaboration with the relevant sections at the DAAD headquarters in Germany; representation of the programme in communication with (potential) partners in Africa
- Coordination of networking events: content conceptualisation, logistics, financial planning and reporting
- Administration of science policy advising and skills trainings: leading the development of a training concept; coordination of calls and awarding procedures for service providers; planning and running of training programmes
- General support of the programme’s implementation: support the DAAD with governance and financial management of the programme and its activities, including answering to inquiries and facilitating links between the stakeholders; determine and evaluate measures to drive the desired outcomes and ensure all necessary internal and external reporting and regulatory requirements are fulfilled
- passionate about contributing to exchange in higher education and excellence in climate research in Africa,
- flexible to adapt to working in different regional contexts,
- able to put structure in place to manage programmes and events and
- proactive and dedicated to delivery of the programme’s deliveries.
- University degree (at least BA); studies or working experience in Germany is an advantage
- Excellent command of English and French, and ideally of German language
- Experience working in international cooperation, preferably in the higher education sector
- Project/ Programme Management with multiple stakeholders
- Experience with financial planning and reporting of events and training programmes, preferably with donors in the German public sector
- Strong understanding of systems and controls, experience managing data and navigating regulatory requirements, preferably of donors in Germany
- Work experience in at least one African country, strong intercultural and communication skills
Please send your CV and a cover letter (as PDF) to email@example.com with the subject line: Application Programme Manager
The closing date is 30th of October 2019. We will review all applications after that date and contact you by 30th of November 2019. If you have not heard back after that date, please feel free to contact us.