“Navigating Women’s Careers in Higher Education” –
DIES Workshop on Gender Equity
The DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) is committed to promoting equal opportunity and access to higher education and science for everyone. This goal is explicitly highlighted in the Education Strategy of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) which is funding this event.
The Dialogue on Innovative Higher Education Strategies (DIES), jointly developed by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the German Rector’s Conference (HRK), aims to improve university management in countries of the Global South through exchange of expertise and good practices. In line with Goal 4 of the SDG Agenda, DIES Dialogue events stimulate Higher Education reforms for an equitable, high-quality education for all.
This 3-day capacity-building workshop on “Navigating Women’s Careers in Higher Education” will contribute to the delivery of the strategic objectives of the DAAD and its DIES programme. The event is scheduled to take place from 10th to 12th of April, 2019.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- Capturing and disseminating knowledge for women’s advancement in academia
- Building national, regional and international support networks
- Enhancing the delivery of mentoring for female academics and researchers.
- Encouraging female academics and researchers to apply for research funding and scholarships
- Mapping out a strategy to further gender equity in Higher Education in West Africa
- Equipping female academics and researchers with skills for advancing their own careers
Female decision-makers in higher education, university managers of middle and upper leadership level, established and emerging (minimum: Masters’ degree level) female academics and researchers from institutes of higher education and research institutes in Ghana and West Africa.
- Breaking the glass ceiling
- Coping with cultural norms detrimental to women’s careers
- Dealing with bullying in a HE work environment
- Lobbying for gender issues
- Entrepreneurial and innovative skills for women
- Women scientists in STEM
- Presentation/public speaking techniques
- Proposal writing skills
- Scientific writing/publishing
- Mediation/negotiation strategies
Organized in Collaboration with