About the programme
The programme funds attendance of language and area studies courses as well as special language / terminology courses that are offered by state or state-recognised German universities and by affiliated language schools.
You can find out about course providers and programmes on the DAAD website under: www.daad.de/hsk-kursliste
The courses are taught exclusively in German. The minimum German proficiency required is A2. B1 proficiency would be an advantage.
Step1: You are first invited to participate in an essay competition. The topic of the essay competition will be given to you on the day of the competition.
You will be required to write your essay in German. The time given to write your essay will be 45 minutes.
- Current students of German in Level 200 or above
- Students of Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes in other subject areas with language proficiency in German of at least level A2 (e.g. Goethe certificate)
- Only students who register beforehand can take part in the competition. To register please send an email with your name, telephone number and your preferred location for writing the essay to firstname.lastname@example.org. (at the latest; by the day before the essay competition takes place, see dates below). You will then receive further details about the competition.The topic of the essay will be announced on the day of the competition. You are allowed to use dictionaries during the exam.
The essay competition (test) will take place at the following venues:
- Cape Coast - 12th October, 2019
Venue: CALC 10, University of Cape Coast
- Accra - 14th October, 2019
Venue: Goethe Institut, Accra
- Winneba - 26th October, 2019
Venue: French department, University of Education Winneba, Winneba campus
Step 2: You will be invited to take a German proficiency test (OnSET) in Accra (This will be by the second week of November. The exact date and time to be communicated after the essay competition). This step is to ascertain your proficiency level. Proof of your proficiency level is a mandatory requirement for this scholarship.
Step 3: Completion of the online application for the scholarship. Visit this link for details. Deadline for this step is 1st December, 2019.
I am Raphael Lamptey (Level 400 Biochemistry student, University of Cape Coast). I had a great time here in Germany these past few weeks. I am a recipient of the DAAD summer school scholarship programme studying German language at the language school here at the University of Göttingen. I am definitely planning to come back for pursue my master’s programme at this same university. From Goettingen, Germany. August, 2019.
Summer school scholarship programme - my impression