Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
Staff Exchange in Sub-Saharan Africa • DAAD
The purpose of the programme is to promote inter-university co-operation through academic mobility and to enhance the quality of teaching and research at Sub-Saharan African universities.
DAAD is offering approximately 15 fellowships.
Call for Application
Who can apply?
What can be funded?
Duration of the funding
- travel allowance
- weekly allowance: EUR 300,-- (EUR 1.200,-- per month)
- The host institution shall provide the local expenses such as lodging, board, local transportation and medical care during the stay.
- The home institution shall maintain the payment of the salary and benefits for the duration of the fellowship.
- The implementation of the fellowship should contribute to develop staff exchange between Sub-Saharan African universities.
What requirements must be met?
- have completed their PhD degree.
- be senior staff at a Sub-Saharan African university.
- be invited by a Sub-Saharan African host university.
- be nationals of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- be granted leave of absence by their home institution for the purpose of teaching at the host institution.
At the end of the fellowhip the fellow has to provide a detailed report on the findings of the teaching and give further information on future co-operation and academic activities.
- Online application form, duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal)
- Curriculum Vitae (please use the europass specimen for at www.europass.cedefop.europa.eu), including list of publications (if applicable).
- Concept note (generally 3-5 pages) indicating the duties and functions including detailed time and work (teaching) plan, as well as information on the target group for the teaching.
- Invitation by the host institution
- PhD certificate
- Proof of leave of absence by their home institution for the purpose of teaching at the host institution.
- The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. Central European Time (CET) on the last application day.
- Late or incomplete applications cannot be considered. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their applications are complete.
- The application documents remain with the DAAD. Data relating to applicants is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act insofar as this data is needed to process the application.
Information and advisory centres
Hellen Sahlmann (email@example.com)
More detailed information
To submit an application on the DAAD Portal, please use a desktop or laptop computer as the site’s full functionality is not available on mobile devices. Technical requirements
General information on the application via DAAD portal
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references (if necessary according to the call for proposals, see "Application procedure")
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you in a sealed envelope. References are confidential and should not be read by the applicant. The unopened envelope should be enclosed with the printed "Application summary" generated in the portal (see Item 4). Please note: If the call for proposals requires you to send several copies of your application by post to the application address (see "Application documents" in the section "Application procedure"), you will also need several copies of your reference in several envelopes, which you must then enclose with your printed "Application summary".
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the required appendices (except references and any work samples which you might have to submit) to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
4. Sending application documents by post
Submit the printed "Application summary" – if necessary with several copies (see "Application procedure/Application documents") by post. Please do not enclose any other documents that have not been uploaded to the portal with the printed "Application summary" – except the required references (in sealed envelopes) and a work sample if applicable!
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm.
Please consider this when you are planning your application.