Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
Postdoctoral Fellowships in Sub-Saharan Africa at DAAD supported Centres of Excellence • DAAD
The purpose of the programme is to provide opportunities to post-doctoral researchers from Sub-Saharan Africa to conduct co-operative research within the region, under the guidance of one of the host institutions mentioned below. The programme is designed to support post-doctoral training.
DAAD is offering approximately 10 fellowships.
Who can apply?
What can be funded?
Applications for other centres having an existing cooperation with German institutes of higher education or operating with international academic partners can also be considered.
Duration of the funding
- A travel allowance
- A monthly research allowance of EUR 100,--
- A monthly instalment of EUR 500,--
- If a health insurance is compulsory for work and/or visa regulations DAAD will accept the costs for a standard tariff upon submission of receipt of paid invoice.
Please note: In case the research stay takes place in your home country,
no travel lump sum will be paid and the monthly instalment will be
- The centre of excellence has to adequately participate in the costs (e.g. infrastructure, other local expenses)
- The host and the candidate must have established close communication and devised a concrete concept note
- The implementation of the fellowship should contribute to develop staff exchange between Sub-Saharan African universities.
Furthermore , the candidates should be ready to support the supervision of DAAD scholars, if required, by their host institution.
What requirements must be met?
- preferably be former DAAD scholarship-holders
- have completed their PhD degree less than six years ago.
- be current or prospective teaching or research staff at a university or research institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- be invited by a Sub-Saharan African host institution.(Please note: DAAD does not find or introduce host institutions.).
- be nationals of a Sub-Saharan African Country.
- preferably come from other countries than the country where the pro-gramme takes place.
At the end of the fellowship the fellow has to provide a detailed report on the findings of the research signed by the hosting professor and give further information on future co-operation and academic activities.
- Online application form, duly filled in and signed (available in the DAAD-Portal).
- Curriculum vitae (please use the europass specimen form at www.europass.cedefop.europa.eu), including list of publications (if applicable).
- Invitation and Nomination by the centre of excellence
- Research proposal (at least 5 pages) including detailed time and work plan which must have been arranged in advance with the host researcher.
- 2 recommendation letters by academic referees
- PhD certificate (certified as true copy of the original certificate).
- Master's certificate (certified as true copy of the original certificate).
Section ST32 - Africa
- Your application is only valid if you submit all the required documents to the DAAD portal (see Item 1) and by post (see Item 2). The postmark date serves as proof that the application has been dispatched on time.
- Late or incomplete applications cannot be considered. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their applications are complete.
- The application documents remain with the DAAD. Data relating to applicants is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act insofar as this data is needed to process the application.
Information and advisory centres
Hellen Sahlmann (firstname.lastname@example.org)
More detailed information
To submit an application on the DAAD Portal, please use a desktop or laptop computer as the site’s full functionality is not available on mobile devices. Technical requirements
General information on the application via DAAD portal
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references (if necessary according to the call for proposals, see "Application procedure")
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you in a sealed envelope. References are confidential and should not be read by the applicant. The unopened envelope should be enclosed with the printed "Application summary" generated in the portal (see Item 4). Please note: If the call for proposals requires you to send several copies of your application by post to the application address (see "Application documents" in the section "Application procedure"), you will also need several copies of your reference in several envelopes, which you must then enclose with your printed "Application summary".
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the required appendices (except references and any work samples which you might have to submit) to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
Sending application documents by post
Submit one printed "Application summary" by post. Please do not enclose any other documents that have not been uploaded to the portal with the printed "Application summary" – except the required references (in sealed envelopes) and a work sample if applicable!
Information for applicants from non-EU countries:
Please remember to specify the exact contents of your postal consignment in the documents for the customs authorities, e.g. "Application for a scholarship with application documents, a reference and a DVD with work samples (no commercial goods)"
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm.
Please consider this when you are planning your application.