Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
Postdoctoral Fellowships in Germany for DAAD-Alumni of the In-Country/In-Region Programme from Sub-Saharan Africa • DAAD
By training future academic and professional leaders, the programme contributes to the following long-term impacts:
- Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Postgraduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
Who can apply?
For further information see: “Application requirements”
What can be funded?
The project should not be a reworking or mere extension of the candidate’s doctoral research project. That means:
- The fellowship should advance the candidate's research profile.
- The host and the candidate must have established close communication and devised a concrete research plan.
- The implementation of the fellowship should contribute to promoting exchange between German and Sub-Saharan African universities.
The fellowships are tenable in any university or research institution in Germany.
Terms and Conditions
At the end of the fellowship the fellow has to provide a detailed report on the findings of the research co-signed by the hosting researcher and give further information on future co-operation and academic activities.
Duration of the funding
- An adequate travel lump sum
- A monthly allowance of EUR 2.000,--
- Accident, liability and health insurance
The DAAD will endeavour to transfer/pay out the first payments as quickly as possible after the scholarship holder has arrived at the host institution.
Nevertheless, it is recommended to bring a financial reserve for the first time period.
The travel allowance and the honorarium cover all costs arising from and in connection with the travel and stay. This may be, for example, visa fees, costs for health checks or vaccinations, baggage costs or luggage insurance and taxable charges.
Please note that programmes which run for up to six months do not provide for families to join the grant holder and consequently the DAAD does not pay any family allowances.
The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
Scholarships will be awarded subject to the provision of funds.
What requirements must be met?
- have to be alumni of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) within the “In-Region / In-Country Scholarship Programme”.
- must have completed their PhD degree less than six years ago.
- must hold an academic position at a university or research institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- have to be invited by a German host institution (please note: DAAD does not find or introduce host institutions.)
- have to be nationals of a Sub-Saharan African country.
Please note that the access to the application portal only appears while the current application period is running. After the application deadline has expired, the portal for this programme is not available until the next application period.
The access to the DAAD portal generally opens about 6 weeks before the application deadline at the latest.
For technical questions regarding the DAAD-Portal, please contact email@example.com.
- DAAD application form, duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal)
- Curriculum Vitae (please use the europass specimen form at (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu), including list of publications (if applicable)
- Letter of Motivation
- Letter of invitation from a German host institution
- Research proposal (at least 5 pages)
- Detailed time and work plan (which must have been arranged in advance with the host researcher in Germany)
- Confirmation from a German professor stating that he/she will host the applicant during the stay
- 2 recommendation letters by academic referees
- PhD certificate (certified as true copy of the original certificate)
- Award Letter from previous DAAD scholarship that indicates your personal identification number (PKZ-/ID-number)
March 1, 2021 for fellowships starting July 1, 2021
April 1, 2021 for fellowships starting August 1, 2021
May 1, 2021 for fellowships starting September 1, 2021
June 1, 2021 for fellowships starting October 1, 2021
July 1, 2021 for fellowships starting November 1, 2021
Information and advisory centres
(Ms.) Hellen Sahlmann
Programme Officer, Section ST32 Africa
To submit an application on the DAAD Portal, please use a desktop or laptop computer as the site’s full functionality is not available on mobile devices. Technical requirements
General information on the application via DAAD portal
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references (if necessary according to the call for proposals, see "Application procedure")
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you.
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the required appendices to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm.
Please consider this when you are planning your application.