Informationen zu den Fördermöglichkeiten des DAAD für Studierende, Graduierte, Promovierte und Hochschullehrer sowie zu Angeboten anderer ausgewählter Förderorganisationen.
Postdoctoral Fellowships in Sub-Saharan Africa at DAAD supported Centres of Excellence • DAAD
- Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Postgraduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
The project should not be a reworking or mere extension of the candidate’s doctoral research project.
- The host institution has to adequately participate in the costs (e.g. by providing the necessary infrastructure, other local expenses).
- The host and the candidate must have established close communication and devised a concrete concept note.
- The implementation of the fellowship should contribute to develop staff exchange between Sub-Saharan African universities.
Wer kann sich bewerben?
Was wird gefördert?
Dauer der Förderung
- A travel allowance (only In-Region)
- A monthly research allowance of EUR 100,--
- A monthly instalment of EUR 500,-- (In-Country) / EUR 1.000,-- (In-Region)
- If a health insurance is compulsory for work and/or visa regulations DAAD will accept the costs for a standard tariff upon submission of receipt of paid invoice (only In-Region).
In-Region Scholarships are aimed at fellows who want to participate in a postdoctoral programe in a country of their home region (here: Sub-Saharan Africa/outside their home country). In-Country Scholarships are aimed at fellows who study in their home country or in the country for which they have a residence permit.
Please note: In case the research stay takes place in your home country, no travel lump sum or health insurance will be paid.
Welche Voraussetzungen müssen erfüllt sein?
- preferably have to be former DAAD Scholarship Holders from Sub-Saharan Africa within the In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme or from cooperation projects with German universities.
- have completed their PhD degree generally not more than six years ago.
- must be current or prospective teaching or research staff at a university or research institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- must be invited by a Sub-Saharan African host institution (see “Place of tenure”, please note: DAAD does not find or introduce host institutions.)
- must be nationals of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- preferably come from other countries than the country where the programme takes place.
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
At the end of the fellowship the fellow has to provide a detailed report on the findings of the research signed by the hosting professor and give further information on future co-operation and academic activities.
Please note that the access to the application portal only appears while the current application period is running. After the application deadline has expired, the portal for this programme is not available until the next application period.
The access to the DAAD portal generally opens about 6 weeks before the application deadline at the latest
For technical questions regarding the DAAD-Portal, please contact email@example.com.
- DAAD application form duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal)
- Curriculum Vitae (please use the europass specimen form at http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu), including list of publications (if applicable)
- Invitation and nomination by the host institution
- Research proposal (up to 5 pages) which must have been arranged in advance with the host researcher
- Detailed time and work plan
- 2 recommendation letters by academic referees
- PhD certificate (certified as true copy of the original certificate)
- Letter of Motivation (mentioning the former host institution and funding period)
April 1, 2021 for fellowships starting August 1, 2021
May 1, 2021 for fellowships starting September 1, 2021
June 1, 2021 for fellowships starting Oktober 1, 2021
July 1, 2021 for fellowships starting November 1, 2021
- The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. Central European Time (CET) on the last application day.
- Late or incomplete applications cannot be considered. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their applications are complete.
The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
Scholarships will be awarded subject to the provision of funds.
Informations- und Beratungsstellen
Hellen Sahlmann (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Bitte beachten Sie:
Die Nutzung des Bewerbungsportals ist mit mobilen Endgeräten nur eingeschränkt möglich. Bitte nutzen Sie zur Bewerbung Ihren Desktop-Computer. Technische Voraussetzungen
Allgemeine Hinweise zu Bewerbungen über das DAAD-Portal
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references (if necessary according to the call for proposals, see "Application procedure")
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you in a sealed envelope. References are confidential and should not be read by the applicant. The unopened envelope should be enclosed with the printed "Application summary" generated in the portal (see Item 4). Please note: If the call for proposals requires you to send several copies of your application by post to the application address (see "Application documents" in the section "Application procedure"), you will also need several copies of your reference in several envelopes, which you must then enclose with your printed "Application summary".
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the required appendices (except references and any work samples which you might have to submit) to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
Sending application documents by post
Submit one printed "Application summary" by post. Please do not enclose any other documents that have not been uploaded to the portal with the printed "Application summary" – except the required references (in sealed envelopes) and a work sample if applicable!
Information for applicants from non-EU countries:
Please remember to specify the exact contents of your postal consignment in the documents for the customs authorities, e.g. "Application for a scholarship with application documents, a reference and a DVD with work samples (no commercial goods)"
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm.
Please consider this when you are planning your application.